Start with Hello!
Northfield has been a proud participant in the Start With Hello initiative for 4 years. Start with Hello (SWH) is a research-based program of Sandy Hook Promise. The Northfield Elementary School SWH program is focused on the growing epidemic of social isolation in our schools and communities, and empowering kids to create a culture of inclusion and connectedness within our school.
The NES Start with Hello Committee, made up of parents and school-based staff, plans various activities throughout the year to promote the vision and mission of Sandy Hook Promise. Please know that at no time are the events that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary discussed with students.
November 26th marks the beginning of Start With Hello Week at Northfield. Throughout the week, your child will have an opportunity to participate in various activities geared towards inclusion and overcoming social isolation. Here is a sneak peak of what's to come!
· Meaningful Monday: Students will have a chance to reflect on what Start with Hello means to them. Similar to previous years, the students will complete a quick writing assignment in class that will capture their personal connection with Start with Hello.
· Tell Me About It Tuesday: Students will use colorful post-it notes to talk about ways that they can demonstrate kindness. All notes will be collected and displayed throughout the week.
· We Belong Wednesday: Students are encouraged to wear the colors of the rainbow on Wednesday. We will also be revealing our post-it note display during the lunch period.
· Thankful Thursday: We encourage all students to wear green, the official color of the Start with Hello program. We will also have our monthly Start with Hello lunch where students are asked to sit with someone new and get to know that person. Conversation starters are provided to get the ball rolling but… WE NEED YOU! In order continue to make our lunch activity a success, we are looking for a few volunteers from each grade to help with facilitating the discussion among the students. Learn more and/or volunteer.
· Famous Hello Friday: Our week-long festivities will conclude with some Famous Hellos. Community leaders will be sharing why they feel it's important to Start With Hello! The video vignette will be shared with students during their lunch period.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org